Sunday, May 13, 2012

My Garden

I live about 9 miles away from the outskirts of Cheyenne (I'm on the outskirts outskirts!) in a housing development. Most of the houses in this area are located pretty close to each other, but my own  house is on its own acre of land.

Clay-ey land. Impossible to grow anything decent. Scrub grass in the back, full of rocks under the dirt/clay. In the front, mostly clay, with a little bit of grass.

There's a wooden frame work of a room, that eventually I'd like to actually build and use as a room for model trains or something, but that will be some years in the future.

The garden that I'm setting up - and to tell the truth I'd prefer that it be all rock - nice red rock - runs from the very edge of the bottom "patio" to that room. Next year I"ll put in another layer of cinder block from the edge of the room., running in a curved manner to the patio.

So, below are the photos. The final photos, from May 12, show dirt (or rather, potting soil) in the two boxes flanking the center box, into which I put a bag of decorative bark, and two pots. My plan is to plant flowers in the pots, and perennial plants in the other two containers. Perhaps only a couple of plants in each, to see if they survive.

April 30, 2012, Monday
The first idea was to have three separate areas, divided by my cinder blocks. But then I decided that would require too much dirt and bark, so I asked my dad to put together the wooden boxes instead, and got the idea to surround them with the rocks from the other side of the house.







May 2, 2012




May 7, 2012



 Below - the rock pile on the back side of the house. This rock pile was here w hen we moved in.  When the garden is done, all these rocks will be in the front, surrounding my boxes with the flowers and plants.

2 views of the rocks that infest the grounds under the grass - small rocks, medium sized rocks, even a few big rocks.

 5/8/12 - As you can see, the rocks are being added to the back first. Slow going because they are so heavy!


 5/10/12 - slowly but surely the rocks are being added

 5/11/12 - more rocks being added

 5/12/12 - The dirt has been added, as well as the bark and the pots.




No comments:

Post a Comment